To set up your online presence, the domain name can go a long way in your success journey, especially if you want a business website to increase sales. Beginners usually confuse domain name with the website or hosting service of the website. However, domain names are completely different from hosting.
What is a Domain name?
It is the address of the website over the internet, and the domain name of every website is unique. It is your domain name that visitors type in the browser URL bar to view your website.
Let us explain the domain definition;
There are billions of computers with internet connections in the world, and each has a unique IP address so that every computer can be identified. An IP address is nothing but a series of numbers that is super difficult to remember. I mean, who can remember 50 strings of different numbers, but you can remember 50 website names.
That is why you put a domain name in the browser URL bar whenever you want to visit a website and not any combination of numbers.
A domain name takes the form of two elements of the website address. For instance, in the domain name ‘abc.com,’ ‘abc’ is the name of the website, and .com is the domain name extension. When purchasing a domain name, you have to specify which server your domain name points to.
What are Different Types of Domain Names?
There are different extensions in which domains are available such as .org, .tv, .net, .info, .io but one of the popular and recommended web domain is ‘.com’ extension. Let’s have a look at various types of domain extensions:
- Top-Level Domain (TLD): In the domain name system, TLD is the generic domain extensions and are listed at the highest level. Among the top-level domain list, the most popular ones are .com, .net, and .org. There are also some lesser-known TLDs such as .club, .agency, .info, .biz, and many others.
- Sponsored Top Level Domain (sTLD): It is the sub-category of TLD in which a sponsor represents a particular community that domain extension serves. For example, .mil represents the U.S military, .edu represents the organizations related to education, and .gov for the government organizations.
- Country Code Top Level Domain (ccTLD): These domain names exhibit the country-specific domains, which end with the extension of the country code like for the United Kingdom, its .uk, for Pakistan, its .pk, and .de for Germany. The ccTLDs are used by those websites that want to target the audience of a specific country.
Where and How to Sell Domain?
It’s a lengthy process to sell domain name. You might not get bids quickly as it depends on the present value of the domain and how you market your domain. Selling a domain is different from selling a website.
Here is how to sell a domain name;
- Domain Value: First, price your domain properly. Some people overprice their domains and then wonder why no one bids. Owning a domain name for a while doesn’t mean that it is of high worth. A common domain name, such as the .com domain, carries a higher price rate. Similarly, a short domain name usually sells more than longer ones. Moreover, those domain names that include the regular abbreviation are easy to spell and don’t include hyphens get a higher price.
- Where To Sell: Once you determine your domain’s worth, it’s time to look for buyers. There are some popular sites such as GoDaddy, Flippa, Afternic, and Sedo.com, where you can find your buyers.
- Public Contact Info: Put your contact information on the WHOIS directory so that people can easily contact you if they are interested to buy your domain.
- Domain Listing: Now optimize your domain listing. It maximizes the chances of selling your domain more attractively.
- Escrow Service: Use the escrow service to safeguard the selling of the domain. It will help to avoid being tricked or scammed by the buyer.
- Transfer Domain: Now, you can transfer your domain to the buyer. The general method is that the first seller submits the authorization code to initiate the transfer process. Once the transfer is completed, the seller transfers the funds from escrow.
Where and How to Buy Domain?
Here is how to purchase a domain name and register it.
- Choose Domain Registrar: First, find a reliable domain registrar accredited with the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number). Some well-known domain name companies are GoDaddy and Domain.com.
- Domain Availability Finder Tool The next step is to search the domain using the domain availability checking tool. This tool will help determine if your desired name is available or not. If your desired domain name is not available, keep searching and try another extension.
- Buy Domain Name After settling on the name; it’s time to buy a domain. Contact the owner of the site where you want to buy domain name.
- Ownership Verification You must verify your ownership. In this step, you will send an email; using the domain to keep other people from using it without permission.
So, now you know more about domain meaning and where and how to get a domain name and sell one.